JUNE 25 & 26, 2022
CLASS SIZE - MIN 7 / MAX 12
Firecraft is the art of creating and sustaining a fire for the purposes of survival or daily use. This craft is one of the oldest human skills that is quickly disappearing in our society today. Less than a century ago, starting a fire was a daily task.
During this hands on 2-day course you will learn several forms of Firecraft including primitive friction fire techniques, charring natural and man-made materials, solar reflectivity, sourcing local natural materials and so much more!
• Proper Ferro Rod Techniques
• Home Made Tinder Options
• Solar Reflectors
• Flint & Steel
• Charring Natural & Man-Made Materials
• Friction Fire Techniques Like Bow Drill & Hand Drill
• Finding Natural Fire Starting Materials
• Camping (On-site camping is included with this class but not required. The class will be conducted at our Basecamp which is a short walk from the parking area.)
The portable restroom is located about 100 yards from the class area.
• Food & Drinks (We will not be providing Food or Beverages. Mountain House Meals available for purchase on-site in our Outpost. Potable water will be available in 7-Gallon jugs at Basecamp.)
• Weather Appropriate Clothing
• Knife with 90° Spine
• Folding Saw
• General Camping Essentials
• Tent / Hammock / Tarp
• Sleeping Bag
• Camp Chair
• Head Light & Extra Batteries
• Notebook & Pen
All students must read, agree, and sign our 2022 Liability Waiver prior to arriving on site.
Address: 1150 Carruth Rd Watkinsville, GA 30677
Look for the signs directing you to the second driveway on your right next to the large barn and blue dumpster. Pull in past the 'Welcome' sign and park at the entrance of the trail straight ahead.
Grab your gear and follow the signs to Basecamp located about 200 yards down the main trail beyond the red gate. This is where the majority of class instruction will be throughout the weekend.
Set up camp anywhere to the right (west) side of the main trail surrounding Basecamp. We suggest setting up further away from the main fire pit if you prefer to not hear possible late night fireside conversations.
8AM: CLASS BEGINS
This is a relaxed class environment. Restroom & snack breaks are taken at your leisure. Instruction will continue at a moderate pass until noon.
12PM: LUNCH BREAK
We will break for a 30min lunch break.
6PM: DAY ONE COMPLETE
Unstructured instruction usually continues around the campfire throughout the evening. This allows for additional questions to be presented or more time to complete projects from earlier in the day.
8AM: CLASS BEGINS
12PM: CLASS ENDS / PACK UP
DUE TO INSURANCE PURPOSES, WE DO NOT ALLOW CAMPING ON-SITE AFTER THE CLASS IS COMPLETED.